Activity Forums Multiple Sclerosis Treatments New Drug May Help in Tracking MS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    AdminJim
    Keymaster

A new drug, called Myeliviz, may help doctors determine the exact amount of damage to a brain caused by Multiple Sclerosis (MS) or other brain diseases.

Myeliviz attaches to the myelin around cells and using a PET scan can show where the most damage is. This will allow doctors to see exactly which parts of the brain have been affected by MS and other diseases of the brain. While we are concentrating on the brain, since that is where MS causes the problems, this can also help with the entire body. All nerves have myelin. This drug is not specific to the brain and/or spinal column but will bind to myelin throughout the body.

But, for those interested in MS and how it affects the brain this is a major breakthrough. Not only will it allow doctors to see the damage that is already present but it can also be used as a tool to determine what type of Multiple Sclerosis a person has. Additionally, it can be used to determine what stage the disease is at for someone.

Just being able to determine the disease progression could be a huge help to many with MS and their doctors and caregivers.

Keep an eye out here if I find out any more information about when the trials are beginning and what locations will be doing them, I will share that information with everyone.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Jim&MS!

As you can see we are extremely new so there is one feature we would like to point out and a couple things we would like to ask of you.

First, if you look in the top right of the page you will see a little man in a circle that opens up a menu with accessibility options for our friends that may have challenges. It will allow you to change things like text size, page contrast and more. If you still have a challenge you can contact me here.

The other thing I would like to ask is a favor. If you can, please click on an ad once in a while. I have about $50 a month in expenses related to this site and don’t make even enough in three months to cover one month off of the ad revenue. I am on a fixed income, I am on disability here in the United States. I am sure most of you will know what that means.

And finally.  WELCOME to Jim & MS!